Improving Mathematics Instruction Research Alliance
The Improving Mathematics Instruction Research Alliance is focused on improving mathematics outcomes for students in K-12 schools in the Southeast. We do this by meeting several times a year with their key staff in the area of mathematics of the four states who are members. Thus, we track problems as they emerge in terms of implementation of new state standards and assessments as well as informally share new and emerging research in the field. Current emphasis areas are a) statistics and probability, b) fractions and decimal fractions, and c) better understanding of the nature of effective professional development in mathematics.
- What is the impact of teacher participation in Developing Mathematical Ideas on students' proficiency in the area of fractions when compared with those students whose teachers receive existing professional development activities provided by schools and districts?
- What is the impact of teacher participation in Developing Mathematical Ideas for one year on teacher knowledge of fractions when compared with teachers who only participate in existing professional development activities provided by schools and districts?
Geographical Areas Served
- University of Georgia
- Mississippi Department of Education
- Spartanburg School District Six
- South Carolina Department of Education
- Georgia Department of Education
- Florida Department of Education
- Winthrop University in Rock Hill
Mary Jo Taylor