School Leadership in North Carolina Research Alliance
The goal of the School Leadership in North Carolina Research Alliance is to learn about and improve the quality of principals and assistant principals in North Carolina's educator workforce, particularly principals leading low-performing schools. The alliance is currently comprised of members from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (DPI), North Carolina Principals and Assistant Principals Association (NCPAPA), the Friday Institute of Educational Innovation located at North Carolina State University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and the Southeast Comprehensive Center.
- What are the demographic characteristics (gender, race/ethnicity, educational attainment) of North Carolina's educational leaders (assistant principals and principals)?
- What are the years of experience, training backgrounds and record of performance of North Carolina's educational leaders (assistant principals and principals)?
- What are the localized principal preparation and/or professional development programs used to train principals in North Carolina?
- What are the career paths of North Carolina's educational leaders given the region/urbanicity, district, and school type?
School Leader's Literacy Walkthrough for Grades K-3
The objective of this project was to create a tool, in the form of a user-friendly checklist, that will support school leaders as they determine which components of literacy and which aspects of instruction they should observe as they conduct walkthroughs during literacy instruction in K-3 classrooms. The tool is intended for school leaders' use in order to:
- enhance literacy instruction knowledge for both school leaders and K-3 teachers;
- provide an effective way to communicate with K-3 teachers expectations about literacy instruction;
- specify consistent language regarding literacy components and instructional strategies; and
- be the basis of communication and collaboration among school leaders and teachers, which, according to research, can improve student achievement.
Geographical Areas Served
- North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (DPI)
- North Carolina Principal and Assistant Principal Association (NCPAPA)
- The Friday Institute at North Carolina State University
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Southeast Comprehensive Center (SEDL)
Marcia Kosanovich, Ph.D.